Blind and Visually Impaired Center Receives $142,644 Grant from Measure X
Posted: Monday, October 2nd, 2023
PACIFIC GROVE, CALIFORNIA (August 2023) The Blind & Visually Impaired Center of Monterey County, Inc., (BVIC) located in Pacific Grove, California, has just received a 30-month grant totaling $142,644 from the Measure X Senior & Disabled Transportation Program.
These funds will enable the BVIC to engage a certified Orientation & Mobility Specialist to instruct the blind and visually impaired in learning the necessary physical and communication skills required to travel independently, safely, gracefully and confidently through one’s environments. Orientation is being aware of where you are and where you want to go. Mobility refers to being able to move safely and effectively. Clients are taught to travel safely using indoor and outdoor protective techniques, long-cane skills, a sighted guide, orientation skills, street crossing skills, and how to use public transportation and para-transit, along with many other skills.
Since May of 2015, the Transportation Agency has engaged in community outreach efforts to inform the public about transportation needs, funding challenges and the self-help option. The Transportation Agency for Monterey County placed the Transportation Safety & Investment Plan (Measure X) on the November 8, 2016, ballot to fund transportation safety and mobility projects in Monterey County.
The 3/8% sales tax approved by voters last November with Measure X is anticipated to generate $20 million annually for 30 years for a total of $600 million dollars. 60% of the money goes back to the 12 cities and the County for local road repair and maintenance. The remaining 40% will be used to fund regional safety and mobility projects.
Anyone interested in learning more about Measure X projects in their communities are encouraged to subscribe to the electronic “Measure X” newsletter by signing up through the Transportation Agency’s website at http://www.tamcmonterey.org/measure-x/.
Transportation Agency of Monterey County
55-B Plaza Circle, Salinas, CA 93901
For additional information contact:
Steven Macias, Executive Director